French Onion Soup 2
French Onion Soup
Ah… good ole french onion soup. Comfort, deliciousness, the smell… what more can you ask for? Oh, right. Bread and cheese! This has it all and it’s one of our favorites.
3 pounds of onions sliced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 stick butter
6 cups good chicken stock
1/2 cup white wine or Madeira or brandy
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
French baguette cut on a bias to make flat rounds
1/2 cup shredded parmigiana
1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
1. On a medium low flame melt butter until it foams and the foam subsides
2. Add onions and cook until well caramelized (this takes a while and the slower you go the better the results)
3. When onions are caramelized at minced garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant
4. Deglaze with your choice of alcohol. Burn off all alcohol and add stock and bay leaves
5. Bring soup to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes
6. While soup is simmering brush Bread rounds with olive oil
7. Toast in a 275 degree oven until crisp
8. Mix the cheeses and top each crisp with cheese.
9. Broil the croutons with the cheese until cheese browns slightly on top.
10. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste and serve with as many croutons as you desire on top
More of our favorites
FREE Monthly Email SERIES
Sign up here for sneak previews, exclusive benefits, and what’s coming up!