Cauliflower Au Gratin
Cauliflower au Gratin. A side dish that will be on our Thanksgiving table, and oh my gosh, it’s perfect. The creaminess of the butter and cheese… the perfectly roasted crunch of the cauliflower. We can’t get enough! This is one for the books and we can’t wait to serve it!
1 head of cauliflower 3-4 pounds cut into large florets
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 small onion or shallot minced
2 cloves garlic minced
8 ounces gruyere cheese grated
6 ounces parmigiana cheese grated
Salt, Pepper, and nutmeg for seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. In a large pot bring salted water to a boil, when boiling cook florets until tender but still has a little snap, drain from water when finished cooking and set aside
3. While water is coming up to a boil in a separate pot melt butter and sweat onion and garlic until translucent and fragrant.
4. Add the flour and mix until no dry flour is visible, immediately add milk and stir until roux is completely incorporated.
5. While storing constantly on medium heat bring milk to a boil, reduce to a simmer and add cheeses
6. Add the cooked cauliflower to the cheese sauce. Sauce should be very thick at this point but will thin out from any remaining cooking water still on the cauliflower
7. Spread evenly in a baking dish and place in the oven until browning occurs on top and everything is heated through
8. (Optional) if you would like a little more browning on top, turn broiler feature on in the oven and broil to the desired browning.
More of our favorites
FREE Monthly Email SERIES
Sign up here for sneak previews, exclusive benefits, and what’s coming up!